Wooden “plates” used by restaurants pose a food poisoning risk to people eating from them, a council has warned as it issued a £50,000 fine to a steakhouse where 14 people fell ill.

The council said on Twitter: “Wooden plates could pose a risk of food poisoning to anyone eating from them.”

When they returned two months later after serving improvement notices, it was found that whilst food handling had improved, the wooden plates were still being used.

It was fined £50,000, and told to pay £670 costs and a £120 victim surcharge.

Mark Croxford, Head of Environmental Health at the council, said “It is completely unacceptable for businesses to put the health of people eating at their restaurants at risk.

Birmingham City Council brought the case against Ibrahim’s Grill and Steak House because it kept using the boards to serve food.

The cleaning of the premises was poor and sanitising chemicals were also not being used in accordance with manufacturer instructions.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *