The authorities of Congo say that Ebola survives the second time

9

GISENYI, Rwanda (Reuters) – Ebola survivor has become ill with the disease for a second time in eastern Congo, the health authority in Congo said Sunday, saying it was not yet clear whether there was relapse or re-referral there .

More than 3,300 people have been infected by the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and killed more than 2,200 since the middle of last year, making it the second worst year.

Experts say that Ebola survivors are generally assumed to have an exemption from the disease. There were no documented re-referral cases but some researchers consider it at least a theoretical opportunity and a previous infection is considered very rare.

In a daily report on the epidemic, Congolese health authorities reported that a survivor in Mabalako, a province of Kivu North, was ill with the virus again, but gave no further details.

Representatives of the World Health Organization and the National Institute of Biomedical Research (INRB) of the Congo said tests were being carried out to find out what had happened.

“Clinically, we check the revival we know the same virus and if the person is infected by another source,” Ahuka Steve Mundeke, an INRB virologist, told Reuters.

“We have cases where the virus is still in immune reservoirs,” said Margaret Harris, spokesperson for the World Health Organization (WHO). “In rare cases, the virus can be repeated. We are now investigating whether this was happening. ”

A survivor who had been working in the sick Ebola treatment center fell again with the virus and died in July, but was not determined if she had been relapse, when she was referred or was false the first time she was ill.

Progress on the inclusion of the disease in the last month has been hampered by an increase in violence which forced aid groups to suspend operations and withdraw staff from the places where the epidemic was finally closed.

Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders) said that they pulled their team from Biakoto region in Ituri province on December 4 after groups of people armed with sticks and machetes two new attacks on their health centers.

“MSF cannot work unless the security of our staff and patients is assured,” the aid group said in a statement.

Millennium May fighters and local residents have attacked health facilities on a number of occasions since the outbreak, sometimes because they believe that Ebola does not exist, in other cases because of a refusal to benefit from donor funding.

Written by Hereward Holland; Edited by Edmund Blair

Our Standards:The principles of Thomson Reuters Trust.

(tagsToTranslate) US (t) CONGO (t) EBOLA (t) Congo (t) (T) Relief Relief / Humanitarian Agencies (t) Switzerland (t) Health / Medicine (t) Military Conflicts (t) Diplomacy / Foreign Policy (t) Africa (t) Infectious Diseases (t) Mining (t) World Health Organization (t) Human Rights / Civil Rights (t) Europe (t) Government Organizations (t) United Nations Healthcare (TRBC) (t) Overseas Development Assistance (t) International / National Security (t) Conflicts / War / Peace (t) Civil Discomfort

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.